Substitute Teacher Issues
Substitute Teachers HandbookThe Chicago Teachers Union worked diligently to ensure that CPS produced this important document to provide guidance, support and expectations for substitute teachers.
Contract Language About Substitute Educators
Appendix A » SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS SALARY SCHEDULES
See the 154th page of the PDF download, which corresponds to page 348 of the book.
Article 1. RECOGNITION » 1-12. PROFESSIONAL PROBLEMS COMMITTEES
Article 9. PARAPROFESSIONAL AND SCHOOL-RELATED PERSONNEL » 9-14. SCHOOL CLERKS
Article 23. CLASSIFICATIONS OF TEACHERS » 23-6. ASSIGNED TEACHERS
Article 27. CLASS COVERAGE
- 27-1. Day-to-Day Substitutes
- 27-1.2. List of Day-to-Day Substitutes
- 27-1.3. Day-to-Day Substitutes Availability to Work
- 27-7. Substitute Coverage for Teacher Assistants in Early Childhood Centers
- 27-2.1. Establishment of Cadre and Assignments of Cadre Substitutes
- 27-2.4. Recruitment of Cadres and Provisional Cadre Substitutes
- 27-2.6. Notice to Potential Cadre and Provisional Cadre Substitutes
- 27-8. Bilingual Substitutes
- 27-9. Substitute Coverage During Mandated Testing
Article 39. TEACHER EVALUATION
Join the Displaced and Substitute Teachers CommitteeThe Displaced and Substitute Teachers Committee was established in 2010 to address the needs of members who are displaced from closed positions and/or who are substituting in classrooms. Currently the chair is Burma Green and the staff liaison is Sara Echevarría, Director of the Grievance Department. For more information, please email Sara Echevarría. Click the button below to download the committee application form, which is to be completed and returned to President Jesse Sharkey for approval and assignment.
Despite inadequate staffing and large class sizes, CPS continues to disrespect educators with layoffs that hurt our members, our students and our schools. Thanks to our contract, CPS is required to follow some rules when they make these layoffs and laid off teachers have rights.