Substitute Teacher Issues
Substitute teachers play an essential role in our students‘ education and in making it possible for educators to survive CPS, being able to take days for professional development, personal business or take care of their health or that of family members. Substitute teachers have an especially difficult job, walking into classrooms day after day where they don’t have the advantage of long-standing relationships with students or the instructional arc of a unit plan. Below are resources to support these essential educators.
Substitute Teachers Handbook
The Chicago Teachers Union worked diligently to ensure that CPS produced this important document to provide guidance, support and expectations for substitute teachers.
Contract Language About Substitute Educators
Appendix A » SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS SALARY SCHEDULES
See the 154th page of the PDF download, which corresponds to page 348 of the book.
Article 1. RECOGNITION » 1-12. PROFESSIONAL PROBLEMS COMMITTEES
Article 9. PARAPROFESSIONAL AND SCHOOL-RELATED PERSONNEL » 9-14. SCHOOL CLERKS
Article 23. CLASSIFICATIONS OF TEACHERS » 23-6. ASSIGNED TEACHERS
Article 27. CLASS COVERAGE
- 27-1. Day-to-Day Substitutes
- 27-1.2. List of Day-to-Day Substitutes
- 27-1.3. Day-to-Day Substitutes Availability to Work
- 27-7. Substitute Coverage for Teacher Assistants in Early Childhood Centers
- 27-2.1. Establishment of Cadre and Assignments of Cadre Substitutes
- 27-2.4. Recruitment of Cadres and Provisional Cadre Substitutes
- 27-2.6. Notice to Potential Cadre and Provisional Cadre Substitutes
- 27-8. Bilingual Substitutes
- 27-9. Substitute Coverage During Mandated Testing
Article 39. TEACHER EVALUATION
Join the Displaced and Substitute Teachers Committee
The Displaced and Substitute Teachers Committee was established in 2010 to address the needs of members who are displaced from closed positions and/or who are substituting in classrooms. Currently the chair is Burma Green and the staff liaison is Sara Echevarría, Director of the Grievance Department. For more information, please email Sara Echevarría. Click the button below to download the committee application form, which is to be completed and returned to President Jesse Sharkey for approval and assignment.