This position serves the entire Chicago Teachers Union membership to help members address contract violations. The duties include, but are not limited to, addressing and investigating member concerns, counseling members on how to resolve grievances, providing support at grievance, arbitration, disciplinary, DCFS and investigatory hearings; and helping members to organize and fight against abusive principals, policies and practices.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have excellent knowledge of the Board-Union Agreement, CPS policies and procedures and the Illinois School Code;
- Work under the daily supervision and direction of the Field Staff Director;
- Special education background required.
- Assist members through the process of filing grievances, arbitrations and in defense of their cases;
- Must be available to work outside the regular office day and on weekends and holidays, if needed;
- Attend and assist with CTU school meetings, conferences and workshops;
- Work closely and in collaboration with CTU attorneys and organizers;
- Support and promote the Chicago Teachers Union;
- Work on assignments outside of the office as requested;
- Maintain orderly files and records of assigned activities and duties;
- Ideally have at least five years of experience as a union delegate or CTU employee;
- Be experienced, knowledgeable, and passionate about union rights and educational issues;
- Established experience as a negotiator and bargaining union contracts.
- Be able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines;
- Have previous experience working independently yet in close collaboration with colleagues;
- Be a self-starter with demonstrated initiative and commitment;
- Have proven oral, written and visual communication skills, as well as organizational, planning and interpersonal skills; and
- Have demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.
Please submit your resume, with references and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for submission is November 21, 2022.