CTU Organizing Department
The Chicago Teachers Union is looking to fill an Organizer position. CTU Organizers play a key role in our fight to enforce our contract, strengthen and grow our union, and win good schools for all.
The roles and responsibilities of a CTU Organizer include, but are not limited to:
- Work with CTU members to involve them in acting upon member concerns, as well as educational and legislative issues that impact schools.
- Plan campaigns and develop actions in collaboration with school members to promote our members’ rights and fight for educational justice.
- Support educators and staff organizing to form new union chapters and join CTU.
- Prepare CTU members to successfully organize their coworkers and mobilize parents.
- Help develop school-level issue campaigns to protect members’ rights under the contract.
- Mobilize for union-wide events and campaigns.
- Develop grassroots leaders.
- Work with parents and community organizations around issues related to funding and other struggles to improve our schools and communities.
- Have demonstrated union/community/political/organizing experience.
- Experience with campaign planning and development is preferred.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills.
- Possess strong listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrate strong critical thinking, problem solving and planning skills.
- Be well-organized, self-motivated, with demonstrated initiative and commitment.
- Possess strong teamwork and leadership skills and ability to train and develop others.
- Be able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
- Be able to work irregular, often long, hours.
- Ability to navigate complex organizations, resolve conflicts and work effectively in high-pressure environments.
- Computer proficiency: database/spreadsheet, email, internet, word processing, and social networking skills.
- Be willing to travel throughout the city, have a valid driver’s license and daily access to an insured automobile.
- Demonstrate strong organizational commitment and understanding of CTU’s labor union and social movement values.
- Experience as a union delegate or other union leadership position is a plus, but not required.
- Proficient Spanish is desirable.
- Active participant in recent school campaigns is preferred but not required.
Please submit resume, with references and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All are encouraged to apply.
The deadline for submission is July 23, 2021.