There are three (3) vacancies to fill unexpired terms on the CTU Executive Board:
Three (3) Elementary School Teacher Functional Vice Presidents
All voting members of the functional group of the House of Delegates may vote for three (3) candidates for the vacancies for the remainder of the unexpired terms, no matter how many are nominated.
The procedure is as follows:
- Nominations for vacancies shall be advertised on the CTU website and via email preceding the nomination meeting, in the Chicago Union Teacher and in the meeting notice bulletin for the month of the election.
- Only those members of the House of Delegates, who represent the functional group to be voted on, may nominate, second the nomination and vote. Only persons in the functional group may be nominated. Associate delegates may vote.
- Nominations will be taken and seconded at the May 05, 2021 House of Delegates meeting which will be held remotely via Zoom.
- Electronic voting shall take place at the June 02, 2021 House of Delegates meeting which will be held remotely via Zoom.
- Prior to the remote House of Delegates meeting where voting will take place, all eligible candidate names will be posted by functional group on the CTU website, listed in alphabetical order by last name. The candidate names have been listed on this post.
- The names of candidates on each electronic ballot will be listed in random order. Elected members of the Executive Board may vote within their functional group. Non-voting members of Executive Board may not vote, unless they are a delegate.
- At the meeting where the voting is to take place, each nominee shall have the opportunity to speak for one minute, if they so desire. The Rules & Elections Committee shall determine the order of speakers by drawing lots.
- Each eligible member of the CTU will receive an e-mail at the e-mail address recorded in the CTU database. The e-mail will contain a unique link which allows the member to cast a vote for elementary teacher, functional vice president. Voting will begin at 5:00pm and end at 5:45pm.
- The electronic votes will be tabulated anonymously.
- The President will announce the results of the vote at the meeting.
- Candidates who receive votes from a simple majority of those who cast ballots (more than 50 percent of actual voters, not eligible voters) will be seated as functional vice president for the remainder of the term. If fewer candidates receive a majority than there are vacant positions, a runoff for unfilled positions shall be held from 6:00 to 6:45 p.m. that night and if a second runoff is required, it will be held from 7:00 to 7:45 p.m. The number of candidates in a runoff election will be one more than the number of remaining vacant positions. Candidates in the runoff election will be those who received the greatest number of votes in the initial election. The candidate names will be listed on each electronic runoff ballot in random order.
Suppose the vote totals for the first round were:
- Candidate A 33%
- Candidate B 49%
- Candidate C 34%
- Candidate D 18%
- Candidate E 52%
- Candidate F 48%
In that case, the runoff would be between Candidates B, C and F for two (2) positions.
Reasoning: Having gotten votes from a majority of participating voters, Candidate E would be seated and not need to participate in the runoff. With two vacancies remaining unfilled, there would be three candidates in the runoff. Candidates A and D would be dropped from contention since they received the lowest totals.