There is one (1) vacancy to fill an unexpired term on the CTU Executive Board:
- One (1) Elementary School Teacher Functional Vice President
All voting members of the functional group of the House of Delegates may vote for one (1) candidate for each vacancy for the remainder of the unexpired term, no matter how many are nominated.
The procedure is as follows:
- Nominations for vacancies shall be advertised on the CTU website and via email preceding the nomination meeting, in the Chicago Union Teacher and in the meeting notice bulletin for the month of the election.
- Only those members of the House of Delegates, who represent the functional group to be voted on, may nominate, second the nomination and vote. Only persons in the functional group may be nominated. Associate delegates may vote.
- Nominations will be taken from the floor and seconded from the floor at the January 08, 2020 House of Delegates meeting.
- Voting shall take place at the February 05, 2020 House of Delegates meeting.
- Prior to the House of Delegates meeting where voting will take place, all eligible candidate names will be posted by functional group on the CTU website, listed in alphabetical order by last name.
- Pre-printed ballots will be provided by the Rules-Elections Committee. To prioritize the order, the Rules-Elections Committee will put names in a hat and list them in order of selection. Elected members of the Executive Board may vote within their functional group. Non-voting members of Executive Board may not vote, unless they are a delegate.
- At the meeting where the voting is to take place, each nominee shall have the opportunity to speak for one minute in the order in which they appear on the ballot, if they so desire.
- Delegates will be called to the voting area to pick up the ballots, have their badges checked and sign the voters’ signature list.
- Voters will place cast ballots in boxes at the designated locations.
- When voting is complete, Rules-Elections Committee members will count the ballots.
- Up to two representatives per candidate may be present during the counting. The candidate may be one of the representatives.
- The President will announce the results by the end of the meeting.
- Whichever candidate receives 50 percent plus 1 will be selected to fill the unexpired term seated as functional vice president. In the case that a candidate does not receive a majority (50 percent plus 1) of the votes cast, there will be a runoff for the position at the next House meeting. Candidates in the runoff election will be those who received the greatest number of votes. The number of candidates in the runoff election will be equal to twice the number of remaining vacancies for the position. Runoff ballots will list candidates in order of the number of votes received and beginning with the highest number of votes. For example, if one (1) elementary school Functional Vice President vacancy remains after the initial election, the two candidates who received the greatest number of votes (excluding the candidate who received 50% + 1 of the vote) will participate in the runoff. In the case of a runoff, each remaining nominee will be given one minute to speak in the order in which they appear on the ballot, at the meeting where the runoff voting is taking place.
- Rules-Elections committee requests that the voting take place as early in the meeting as possible.