Are you interested in how school policy is made and imposed on schools? Would you like to make that process work differently? Would you like to engage in a professional development experience that goes beyond what is typically offered? Are you interested in getting more involved in CTU through policy advocacy? If so, the CTU Policy Fellowship is the program for you.
Led by CTU member and supported by our national union, the American Federation of Teachers (AFT), the CTU Policy Fellowship provides members an opportunity to expand your advocacy and leadership skills, meet with researchers and decision makers in Chicago and Illinois, and support the vital work of the CTU. We are looking for a small, diverse, and representative group of CTU members. PSRPs, social workers, school nurses, school psychologists, early childhood teachers, and Chi-ACTS division members are strongly encouraged to apply.
CTU Policy Fellows will:
- Develop a bigger toolbox of research, communication, and engagement skills.
- Collaborate with fellow members.
- Create alternatives to current education policies in your school and CPS.
- Engage w/ union leaders, elected officials, and policy makers to influence their understanding of education and educators.
- Assert and expand educators’ expertise and authority in making education policy.
- Be part of a new leadership cohort within the CTU.
- Interest in policy and examining issues relevant to our contract campaign and larger CTU goals.
- Willingness to collaborate with fellow members to do research and advocacy around important school and union issues.
- Attendance at 8 Saturday meetings, one per month, October – May.
- Creation, presentation, and write up of research project.
- Clinicians, early childhood educators, and paraprofessionals strongly encouraged to apply.
- $1500 stipend, payable on completion
- CEUs toward licensure (potentially)
- Additional leadership opportunities in CTU
Resume, cover letter, and two (can be short) letters of recommendation by Friday, September 20, 2019, emailed to email@example.com (Subject line: CTU Policy Fellowship).