The following is a list of demands in the current fight for the next contract.
A Fair Contract Our Teachers & Paraprofessionals Deserve
• Adequate staffing in all areas including art, music, physical education; nurses, librarians, and counselors!
• Smaller class sizes!
• Resources for our students and our schools!
• Don’t cut our wages: A fair raise next year!
• Hold the line on benefits: Protect our health care and pensions!
• Dignity for our veteran members—hire qualified tenured teachers before new employees!
The Board Wants:
Draconian Policies & Benefits Cuts
• A five-year contract with only a 2% raise
• No more raises unless we agree to testingbased Merit pay
• A longer school day and year, but a DECREASE in prep time and professional development and no additional resources
• An End to Accumulated Sick Days
• Increased health care costs
• No job security—tenured teachers who are laid off from closing schools get no rehire rights and arbitrary evaluation systems, which makes it easier to fire even the best of teachers.