There is one (1) vacancy to fill an unexpired term on the CTU Executive Board:
One (1) High School Teacher Functional Vice President
All voting members of the functional group of the House of Delegates may vote for one (1) candidate for the vacancy for the remainder of the unexpired term, no matter how many are nominated.
The procedure* is as follows:
- Nominations for vacancies shall be advertised on the CTU website and via email preceding the nomination meeting, in the Chicago Union Teacher and in the meeting notice bulletin for the month of the election.
- Only those members of the House of Delegates, who represent the functional group to be voted on, may nominate, second the nomination and vote. Only persons in the functional group may be nominated. Associate delegates may vote.
- Nominations will be taken and seconded at the October 07, 2020 House of Delegates meeting which will be held remotely via Zoom.
- Electronic voting shall take place at the November 04, 2020 House of Delegates meeting which will be held remotely via Zoom.
- Prior to the remote House of Delegates meeting where voting will take place, all eligible candidate names will be posted by functional group on the CTU website, listed in alphabetical order by last name.
- The names’ of candidates will be randomized electronically and listed in order on the electronic ballot. Elected members of the Executive Board may vote within their functional group. Non-voting members of Executive Board may not vote, unless they are a delegate.
- At the meeting where the voting is to take place, each nominee shall have the opportunity to speak for one minute in the order in which they appear on the ballot, if they so desire.
- Each eligible member of the CTU will receive an e-mail at the e-mail address recorded in the CTU database. The e-mail will contain a unique link which allows the member to cast a vote for high school, functional vice president. Voting will begin at 5:00pm and end at 6:00 pm.
- The electronic votes will be tabulated anonymously.
- The President will announce the results of the vote at the meeting.
- Whichever candidate receives 50 percent plus 1 will be selected to fill the unexpired term seated as functional vice president. In the case that a candidate does not receive a majority (50 percent plus 1) of the votes cast, there will be a runoff for the position at the next House meeting. Candidates in the runoff election will be those who received the greatest number of votes. The number of candidates in the runoff election will be equal to twice the number of remaining vacancies for the position. Runoff ballots will list candidates in order of the number of votes received and beginning with the highest number of votes. For example, if one (1) high school Functional Vice President vacancy remains after the initial election, the two candidates who received the greatest number of votes (excluding the candidate who received 50% + 1 of the vote) will participate in the runoff. In the case of a runoff, each remaining nominee will be given one minute to speak in the order in which they appear on the ballot, at the meeting where the runoff voting is taking place.
- Rules-Elections committee requests that the voting take place as early in the meeting as possible.
*Union business must to be conducted during non-work hours. It is recommended not to use a CPS device or CPS WIFI while conducting Union business.