The REACH rating appeal process is available now on the RLS website. Learn more about it below and at the Appeals Workshop on Wednesday, October 5 at 4:30 p.m.
Who is eligible to appeal their SY 21–22 final summative rating?
The appeals process is available to:
- Any educator (probationary/untenured and tenured) who received a SY 21-22 final summative Unsatisfactory REACH rating (a score of 209 or below).
- Tenured educators who received a REACH summative rating in the lower half of Developing (an emerging Developing score between 210-250).
Additionally and separately:
- Educators who are laid off out of seniority order may appeal at the time of layoff whose rating is Unsatisfactory (209 or below) or Developing (score between 210-284).
Details about the Appeals process can be found in Article 39-9 of the contract.
How does the REACH final summative rating appeal process work?
All appeals are completed through the Reflect and Learn System (RLS). Educators eligible to appeal should be able to access the “Appeals Process” tab in RLS now.
There are two parts of the appeals process and each has a specific deadline:
- Educators have 10 calendar days (by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, October 3, 2022) to file an Intent to Appeal on the RLS website, and
- Educators have 30 calendar days (by midnight on Friday, October 21, 2022) to upload Evidence for the Appeal including all relevant documentation to the RLS website to complete the appeal.
Both parts of the process must be completed in order for the appeal to proceed and be reviewed. We encourage all eligible educators to complete this step so they have the option of completing an appeal.
The CTU Grievance Department will be conducting a virtual REACH Appeals Workshop for members who are eligible to appeal their SY 21–22 final summative rating on Wednesday, October 5, 2022.
Additional Appeals Support
Rating Appeals Drop-In Support Sessions will be held on the following days from 4:00–6:00 p.m. at the CTU Center (1901 W. Carroll Ave):
- Tuesday, October 11, 2022
- Thursday, October 13, 2022
- Monday, October 17, 2022
- Wednesday, October 19, 2022
No RSVP is needed for drop-in sessions. Please be sure to bring a laptop.
Does your Rating Contain Procedural Violations?
Procedural violations should be addressed through the grievance process. Please refer to the updated CTU Grievance Checklist on the Teacher Evaluation page to identify whether evaluation procedures were followed during your evaluation plan. You will also need to complete a Grievance Authorization Form and return to your field representative by Tuesday, November 22, 2022.